A warming, low fat and low budget soup that is perfect if you're looking to save money and count calories before the upcoming party season.
There's not much more comforting on a cold day than a big bowl of hot soup. If you needed any more convincing, soup is really simple to make, cheap and a great way to get lots of vegetables in one meal.
In the interest of saving as much money as possible for the looming party season, I am looking at really healthy meals that don't break the bank. Pulses like lentils are the ideal budget ingredient, especially if you buy them in bulk and they are low in fat and a good source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. As well as being the perfect ingredient for soups, lentils are a good way to bulk out meat dishes like Shepherd's Pie, so you can save money by not using as much meat and you also lower the fat content of the dish.
This soup is very low in calories, which makes it a good snack or a nice alternative to a cup of tea to warm you up. But if you are looking to have it as a meal, serve it with some freshly baked bread and to make it a little more indulgent, a sprinkle of cheese on top goes down really well.
Spicy Carrot and Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 250g carrots (about 3 medium), peeled and diced
- 75g lentils (any colour is fine)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Half a tsp of diced red chilli
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped
- 800ml boiling water
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp of Greek yoghurt to serve
1) Add the oil to a large pan and once hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
2) Add the carrots and lentils to the pan and cook for a further 30 seconds.
3) Add the rest of the ingredients, except the Greek yoghurt, and simmer for 20 minutes. If it starts to look a little thick, add a little more water.
4) Blend the soup until smooth and serve in bowls with Greek yoghurt on top.
Inspired? For more delicious seasonal soup recipes visit Great British Chefs collection.
This fantastic collection of over fifty dinner party recipes from the UK's leading chefs will ensure that you're never stuck for ideas on what to cook when entertaining guests.
As well as featuring classic dinner party recipes such...