Whilst safety in the kitchen is paramount, being too cautious and overprotective can turn even the homeliest of kitchens into a fun-free zone for children. Too many rules are a turn-off for even the most curious kid; not enough rules and you run the risk of regular trips to A&E. Here are some tips that will keep both parents and kids safe, interested and happy.
• Warn: the cooker is hot! Leave that cord alone! Don’t eat cat food! You know the drill.
• Supervise: especially if they’re standing on a chair to help, and when they’re around ovens, hobs and sharp objects.
• Observe: kids are capable creatures who learn more quickly if we take a step back.
• Trust: left to their own devices, kids aren’t always naughty or clumsy.
• Answer: kids are the reason Google was invented. There’ll be many questions, and you must reply to each one.
• Praise: for washing their hands. For helping to spread the butter. For tidying up afterwards. Good for them!